This course starts with looking at the radio frequency spectrum and moves through to radio transmission principles and ends looking at the most common wireless technologies. On this journey the delegates will explore modulation and coding techniques.
- Introducing the radio spectrum
- Modulation techniques
- Transmitters, receivers and antennae
- Access techniques
- Microwave Radio
- IS 95/GSM/GPRS/Edge
- Satellite Communications
- 4g (WiMAX/Long Term Evolution)
- 5 Days
- The programme can be taught at any venue suitable for the client.
The course is aimed at people who are looking to get into the wireless industry for employment or just wishing to expand their knowledge. There are no prerequisites for this course. However all delegates should be literate and numerate.
Students undertaking these short courses will be provided with the knowledge and techniques to:
- Define the radio frequency spectrum, characteristics of radio waves, principles of propagation and factors affecting propagation.
- Understand the relationship between wavelength and frequency.
- Explain modulation and explores different modulation techniques and why we need them.
- Explain a basic transmitter and receiver.
- Differentiate between Simplex and Duplex operation.
- Identify solutions to reducing the impact of interference.
- Specify the correct antenna for specific roles or environments, along with solutions for mission critical systems.
- Differentiate between different access techniques such as TDMA, FDMA and CDMA.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of TDD and FDD.
- Explain uses, functionality, network elements and differences between PMR (Private Mobile Radio) and Tetra systems.
- Identify the elements associated with a land based cellular system along with the functions of each element.
- Discuss Virtual and Physical channels and network design parameters.
- Analyse satellite availability, uplink and downlink requirements and regeneration.
- Understand orbits and propagation delay as well as link budgets.
- Identify Wi-Fi propagation, uses and protocol and access, interference and security.
- Consider municipal deployments with some case studies and plan real time services in particular Voice over Wi-Fi.
- Explain the advantages of WiMAX over Wi-Fi and understand in depth the capabilities of WiMAX technology and incorporate into system design.